PhD Student Fellowship
The Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers (TIIAME) and Justus Liebig University, Giessen have established a graduate research fellowship in SDG research as a part of the SDGnexus Network Project. The fellowship is tenable at the Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
The position is supported by the SDGnexus Network led by the Department of Ecology and Water Resources Management, TIIAME, Justus Liebig University, Giessen and by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development of Germany (BMZ).
Duration: 1 August 2020 – 31 July 2023
Deadline: 30 June 2020
Summary of the Fellowship
The SDGnexus Network, consisting of partners from Colombia, Ecuador, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, provides a common research framework related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations (UN) and aims to analyze synergies and trade-offs among individual SDGs (SDG nexus analysis).
Fields of Research
Fellow will be advised by a faculty member whose principal appointment is in water-related SDGs, agriculture and sustainable food systems, environment engineering/management, economics.
We are particularly keen fellows whose research interests are in one of following topics:
- water resources management;
- environmental and earth sciences;
- irrigated agriculture,
- climate change mitigation and adaptation,
- sustainable economic development,
- spatial interaction and potential synergies and trade-offs among of agriculture and water-related SDGs.
- fellow is required to be admitted to the PhD program in water resources engineering/management, environmental engineering, agriculture and economics. You must apply and be accepted as a graduate student to be eligible for the fellowship.
- You are highly motivated to start a research career.
- You have been awarded a Master’s degree or equivalent in relevant sciences with strong study results.
- Proof of successful contribution to a peer-reviewed publication is an asset.
- You work meticulously, have good organizational and analytical skills, you are quality-driven, creative, a team-player, open-minded, willing to learn and capable of critical thinking/analysis.
Fluency in oral and written English. Competency in Russian is an advantage, as is knowledge of Uzbek.
How to Apply
Send a covering letter, an up-to-date CV that includes the names and contact information of two referees, and a personal statement of your interest in applying for the fellowship. Applicants from Uzbekistan are encouraged to apply. Send the documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2020.
Please send your applications with the following subject header of the email: “SDG Nexus PhD student fellowship”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for interviews with representatives of the SDG Nexus Network consortium.
The Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers (TIIAME) is a first-class regionally recognized academic and research institute known for its top programs in engineering (irrigation, water resources, environment, electrification and automation, agricultural mechanization), land management and agricultural economics/management & marketing with an almost 100-year tradition. TIIAME’s mission is development of potential of agriculture and water management, strengthening the image of Central Asian science and education in the global market of educational services, research and innovations.
For more information about the Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization Engineers visit: https://tiiame.uz